down arrowMenu

Policies and Procedures

4.10 Moving Expenses

Authorization by Board or Regents:

Institutions under the Board of Regents may pay expenses up to $7,500 for packing and moving of a person's household goods and other personal effects for full-time employees, including faculty and institutional officials, professional and scientific staff, and other full-time employees who are comparable in rank to assistant professor or above. Packing and moving expenses for full-time employees not defined above may be granted by specific approval of the appropriate dean/director or their designee. Reimbursement for moving expenses shall not include reimbursement for the expense of moving animals. (Board of Regents Minutes, September 18-19, 1975, p. 77; October 18, 1995, p. 324).

Board of Regents, State of Iowa Policy Manual, 4.26


Procedures for Approval and Payment:
  1. Payment of moving expenses or any portion thereof is not mandated. Reimbursement, when made, will be limited to actual moving expenses not to exceed the cost of packing and moving 10,000 pounds of the employee's household goods and other personal effects. In any particular case, payment may be limited to a lower maximum weight or to a certain dollar maximum amount. Reimbursement for expense of moving animals is specifically excluded. Personal travel expenses of the employee (and his/her family) in moving from the previous residence to the Cedar Falls area are not to be considered moving expenses and will not be reimbursed by the University.
  2. The agreement to pay moving expenses or any portion thereof must be made in writing in advance. The agreement must clearly indicate the maximum amount, either in weight or in dollars, that will he reimbursed in the particular case. The agreement must be approved by the divisional vice-president or the academic deans if authority for such approval is granted to the deans by the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
  3. To effect payment to the employee the department must submit a requisition for such payment to the business office. The requisition must be supported by a copy of the agreement to pay such expenses. The requisition must also be supported by an itemized statement of actual moving expenses which in turn must be supported by appropriate receipts. In the case of a move by the employee using a rental truck, trailer, or other vehicle, the employee must also submit an estimate of moving expense from a commercial mover for performing the move.
  4. There is no general university budget or fund for paying moving expenses. The cost of such expenses will be charged against the supplies and services budget of the particular department involved or to such other budget or fund as provided by the approving official. The approval of the moving expense agreement by the approving official is also a commitment by that official that such departmental or other funds will be available.

For a current list of moving vendors with negotiated agreements with UNI refer to the Moving Services section on the Contracts page of the Purchasing website. 

Vice President for Administrative Services