8.14 Overnight Camping on University Property
To clarify information regarding overnight camping on university property or in university facilities.
In order to ensure the safety of individuals and security and maintenance of campus grounds and facilities, this policy prohibits overnight camping on university property or in university facilities except as authorized under the section “Possible Exemptions.”
The University recognizes that there may be a limited number of legitimate requests for overnight camping by university departments or registered student organizations. Except in the most unusual of circumstances, exemptions are limited to one, 24 hour period during a year. Any request for an exemption to this policy must be made at least two weeks in advance and in writing as indicated below. Requests must include the following:
- A full description of the activity and purpose.
- Name of the University sponsoring organization or department.
- Name and contact information of the individuals planning the event; in the case of registered student organizations, the organization adviser must also provide documentation of approval.
- Specific information regarding the location of the request.
- A plan for safety of individuals participating, i.e. security, lighting, medical emergencies, etc.
- A plan for severe weather response.
- A plan for restroom facilities and garbage collection.
- A plan for set up and clean up, including a time line.
The sponsoring department or organization is responsible for any costs to repair or clean areas used if they show evidence of unwarranted use/misuse. If the request for camping is approved, any use of open fires will adhere to guidelines established in the Fire Safety Policy (7.04).
Exemption requests are to be directed to the Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety and:
- For classroom or academically related activities: the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs;
- For registered student organizations: the Vice President for Student Affairs;
- Any other request, including RAGBRAI which is periodically jointly hosted by the University and City of Cedar Falls: the Senior Vice President for Administration and Financial Services.
Department of Public Safety/Police Division, approved April 10, 2015
President’s Cabinet, approved May 19, 2015
President and Executive Management Team, approved June 1, 2015