3.18 Fraternity and Sorority Extension and Expansion
To specify the process for the addition of new Greek-letter fraternal chapters for men and women (hereafter referred to as “chapters”) through an extension or expansion process and to assign responsibility for the extension or expansion process.
- The University or Northern Iowa recognizes and supports the right of students to form voluntary organizations and associations dedicated to pursuing mutual interests, developing leadership and organizational skills, providing pre-professional experiences, and fostering educational, social and recreational opportunities. The existence of fraternal chapters at the University of Northern Iowa does not constitute University or NISG endorsement or approval of the viewpoints or activities of these organizations.
- Responsibility for developing and administering extension or expansion procedures for the addition of new North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) fraternal chapters for men is delegated to the university Interfraternity Council (IFC).
- Responsibility for developing and administering extension and/or expansion procedures for the addition of new National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) fraternal chapters for women is delegated to the university Panhellenic Council (PC).
- The Student Involvement Center and the Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) shall be responsible for administering processes for the addition of new fraternal chapters for which the national organization does not fall under the auspices of the NIC and the NPC, as defined in University Policy 3.10. The process must be undertaken in a manner consistent with any applicable policies of national organizations of which the chapter is a member.
- Upon completion of the extension or expansion process, all new fraternal chapters are also required to complete the process of becoming a registered student organization, as defined in University Policy 3.10.
- Appeals of any decisions related to extension or expansion shall be heard by the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee.
- All extension or expansion procedures must be consistent with applicable University, Board of Regents, state, and federal policies and laws, and are subject to University review and approval via the Director of Maucker Union.
- Any fraternal chapter seeking to establish housing must comply with policy 3.07 Fraternity and Sorority Housing.
Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, approved July 24, 2014
President’s Cabinet, approved October 6, 2014
President and Executive Management Team, approved October 13, 2014